Author: Elizabeth Turner
Title: “Find the Wedge”
Date: Spring 2007
Grade Level: Fourth Grade
Science Content Standard 11.4.11-explore simple machines and use them for simple tasks.
Science Content Standard 12.4.12-select an object according to its observable physical properties.
Math Content Standard 5.5.1- Formulate questions that can be addressed with data and collect, organize, and display relevant data to answer questions
Math Content Standard 5.5.2-Select and use appropriate statistical methods to analyze data
Goal: The purpose of this lesson is for students to identify types of wedges from everyday items.
Lesson Introduced: This activity will be done after the PowerPoint presentation on wedges.
· The teacher will label six craft bags 1-6
· The teacher will place six items in each craft bag three of which is a wedge
· The teacher will handout the wedge worksheet to each student
· The teacher will give the students one minute to go through each bag and find the wedges.
· The students will record the items on the wedge worksheet and graph the number of wedges found in each bag
· The teacher will go over answers after the activity
Questions for High Order Thinking:
· Can a wedge be classified as another simple machine?
· What are other uses for wedges?
· How do you use wedges in your daily life?
Assessment: Students will hand in worksheet for grading.
Adaptations to Meet the Needs of Diverse Learners: